At GD Global Mobility, we have a specialized team that can offer you a quick procedure to help you to obtain the best residence permit that currently exists in Spain – the Residence Permit for Investors.
Under the law, foreigners can apply for and obtain a residence permit for investors if they already have a residence visa for investors or have another legal right to stay in Spain. If the foreigner is already in Spain on a regular basis (for a short stay or as the holder of a residence or study permit), he/she can apply directly for a residence permit at the Large Companies Unit, without having to apply for an investor visa beforehand.
Foreigners who make significant capital investments –the most common being real estate investments– are entitled to obtain a residence permit for investors:
• Purchase of real estate in Spain, with an investment value of 500,000 euros or more, free of taxes and charges (most common type).
• 1 million euros in shares or participations of capital companies with real business activity.
• 1 million euros in investment funds, closed-end investment funds or venture capital funds incorporated in Spain.
• 1 million euros in bank deposits. The applicant must be the sole holder of the bank deposit.
• 2 million euros in Spanish public debt. The applicant must be the sole holder of the investment for a period of 5 years or more.
Unlike all other existing permits, this residence permit does not require effective residence in Spain because it allows the holder to choose between actually residing in Spain, becoming a tax resident, or using the residence as a mere multiple-entry visa. At the same time, it gives the holder the right to work as an employee, a self-employed person and to hire, if appropriate, third parties. Another important and specific feature of this permit is that it allows for joint or subsequent processing for family members. There is no requirement for the family members to wait 1 year, unlike with other residence permits. Even children of legal age and ascendants can apply for residence. The children need to prove economic dependency on the holder, and the ascendants also need to prove that they are dependent on the holder.
The initial residence permit for investors is valid for 2 years, and is renewable for successive periods of 5 years, as long as the investment is maintained. However, the reason for the first residence may be changed, as long as it is one of the investments provided for in the law. Contact us.